Thursday 19 May 2011

Through my Garden Gate


I have illusions of grandeur! I'm attempting to turn a tiny useless slope of grass in my backyard into a french style potager. Now my goal is to do this with next to no money and as little sweat equity as possible. I know this may sound ridiculous but I hate to think of having a garden that doesn't produce any food and the budget is tight!

When I moved into this house 2 years ago, it had a lovely established garden, but absolutely nothing growing was edible. Maybe it's because of my 100 Mile Challenge experience, or maybe it's because I'm Portuguese...possibly it's because I'm frugal, regardless of the reason; if a garden doesn't provide any food, it is no garden at all as far as I'm concerned!!!

The first year I was here I managed to plant a plum tree, some raspberry and blueberry bushes, a herb garden, a bit of lettuce and some tomatoes. As much as I enjoyed the fruits of my labour during the growing season I felt like I could be growing so much more. So what's a girl to do? Go to GOOGLE for inspiration! Here are a few of the pictures that inspired me, most are from the Chelsea Flower Show:
  


   

All I need to do now is find something inexpensive to create raised beds. Then I'll layer newspaper on top of the grass (no digging!!!!) then throw some compost, manure and soil on top of that alternating in layers ...plant a few seeds and voila...enough veggies to feed my family throughout the season. Sort of a Zero Mile Diet I guess...James MacKinnon would be so proud LOL!

Well the suns out, time for breakfast and off to start the garden...wish me luck. I'll post pictures as it progresses. Let's hope it's as easy as I think it'll be.

For more information about the 100 Mile Challenge or to watch the episodes online check out: http://100mile.foodtv.ca/


               /


1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic newspaper tip! I like changing things up in the backyard, so I like the idea of not having to dig : ) and less work... Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete