Thursday 19 May 2011

Back To My Roots

It's finally here!!!! Spring has finally arrived after a long, cold,wet and miserable start. I've spent the morning planting my new veggie patch with seedlings from the nursery up the road and I figure what better way to welcome spring...I'll make a bowl of my favorite Portuguese Kale Soup. The produce market has some locally grown already, so no better time but the present!

This soup always brings me back to my childhood. Portuguese families start almost every meal off with a bowl of soup, so I remember my mom making this all the time. It was also one of the few meals my dad actually knew how to make LOL. I know when you read down the list of ingredients it may seem like a bit of a strange combo but give it a chance I guarantee it will become one of your favorites too.

12c           water
1              bunch kale (very thinly chopped)
4              large potatoes (peeled and cut into small cubes)
6"piece     Portuguese chorizo
1tbs         olive oil
1              dried red chili (optional)
1tbsp        sea salt
5              hard boiled eggs (peeled)
olive oil and vinegar (to drizzle-this is one place I can’t substitute the olive oil)
                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Cut chorizo into thin circles then place in a large pot on medium heat, add olive oil and cook until slightly brown and crisp. Then add 12c water, salt and red chili. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes and Kale, let simmer for at least 20minutes.

 When potatoes are soft enough mash up approximately half of them while still in the pot( with a potato masher or the back of a ladle)  Cut hard boiled eggs in half and place one half in the bottom of each persons bowl. Ladle soup on top of the egg and then lightly drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.

The best way to eat this is to crush the egg up with your spoon and give a quick stir. Your kids surprisingly will love this as they feel it’s their own creation if you let them add their own oil, vinegar and then have them stir it themselves.  Great on it’s own but is also nice served with a salad and a fresh Portuguese bun
.
*This can easily be made vegetarian by replacing the chorizo with 1tsp of paprika and 1 crushed clove of garlic. You can also add ½ a can of chickpeas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment