Friday 20 May 2011

A Budding Chef

I'm sure you've all taken pictures of your children helping out in the kitchen... well I'm no exception! I thought this picture of my daughter Emily was so cute it is what inspired me to write my first cookbook! She's tasting my famous Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

This is my one most requested recipe! Adults and children alike have absolutely no self control when it comes to these. So I caution you to not make more than you need, if you do your thighs will regret it! I’ll often only bake half and freeze the rest of the dough to use at a later date. That way I can just bake 1 or 2 cookies at a time if I choose. Or I can quickly whip some up if I have unexpected company stop by.

These make great ice cream sandwiches; I like to butter the bottoms with chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)and then fill with vanilla ice cream and roll the edges in crushed toasted hazelnuts…to die for!
1/2 lb         butter (softened)
1c             brown sugar
1c             sugar
2               eggs
2tsp           vanilla
2 1/4c        flour
1tsp           salt
1/8tsp        cinnamon (it adds depth)

  1tsp           baking soda
  1c              rolled oats
  2c              dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

 Cream the margarine and then gradually add the 2 sugars, beating until light and smooth. Then add the egg and the vanilla. In a separate bowl sift together the dry ingredients and add to the first mixture, blend well. Gently mix in the chocolate chips. My secret is to cover the mixture and let chill in the fridge until slightly firm. This really makes a huge difference in the thickness of the cookie so it’s worth the time! There’s nothing I hate more than cookies that are as flat as pancakes. 

When chilled use your ice cream scoop to measure equal amounts of the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat (this stops the bottoms from burning) Bake for approx. 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Makes 24 large cookies or 60 small cookies



                   

6 comments:

  1. I'm spreading the word for you Angela! Blessings for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good. thanks for the recipe. I like your style and passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sharing,God bless. from Anna,R.O.C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I would do if I hadn't seen this blog your the best cook iv ever seen thank you for doing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEP, tried them. You are so right, BEST chocolate chip cookie I've ever tasted!!! Obviously the pile of dough didn't make it to the freezer. Ate the whole batch in 3 days. Guess I have to whip up some more of that dough for my visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm telling you people you must freeze what you don't want to eat. Or you'll regret it LOL!

    Angela St. Cyr

    ReplyDelete