Wednesday 13 July 2011

Fresh Tomato Salsa

This is the first thing I got my daughters to help with when they were younger. They were in charge of stirring and tasting it to see if it needed more salt. They thought it had to be stirred a certain amount before it was ready, something only they could decide…so cute! I can’t eat the jarred stuff since I started making this,it’s amazing to me that they’re even supposed to be the same thing! This is so fresh and delicious; it really is worth the effort. You can use this just for dipping chips, or along side grilled meat and fish.

8            roma tomatoes (any tomato will work but these have less seeds and juice in them)
3            large onions
1            bunch cilantro (finely chopped)
1            lime (juice)
1            garlic clove (crushed)
salt to taste

Dice tomatoes and onions into equal sizes, I like mine quite small, but some prefer a larger dice. Then toss into a bowl with everything else and stir. Taste and adjust the amount of salt if necessary.

*Tip- When using this as a condiment with meat or fish I'll often add fresh fruit. Mangoes and strawberries are a favorite in our house.

If we're making nachos our meal, I'll add some black beans and some corn to make it a little more filling. I just toss the beans in right from the can (drained) and the corn is added right from the freezer. Just let it sit for about 10 minutes or so before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment