Friday 10 June 2011

Super Mom...NOT!


Any of you that have school aged children will be able to relate to this...I hope LOL! The end of the school year is a whirl wind of activities. Field trips, plays, costume fittings, dance recitals, music concerts, sporting events...the list goes on and on. Keeping all these schedules straight is a full time job in itself! Having said that, I'll share my story with you...while I shrink into a ball from shame.

It's early in the morning, I get the kids up and make sure they get breakfast. School planners signed and homework done- check. Lunches packed-check. Walk them to school-check. Phew...after a crazy week it will be nice to have some time for me. So my husband and I decide to shake off all the stress from the week by running 5km to the gym. Then we'll work out, walk back and maybe go out for lunch a little later in the afternoon.

We run to the gym...that wasn't so bad. Work out...wow that felt great! Leisurely walking home having some lovely adult conversation when...my cell phone rings.

"Hi Mrs. St. Cyr"  says the lovely secretary at my kids school.

 Hi, I say a little nervously thinking one of the kids is sick or hurt.

 " We have you showing on our volunteer sheet that you were able to help with the make-up for the play today at 12:00." (it's 12:30)

I apologize and explain I thought that was tomorrow.

"Not to worry she says...do you think you can still make it in to help for a short while, the play starts at 1:00?"

I tell her I'll head over right away...not realizing that it's still quite a walk away.

Although completely exhausted already, feeling like the worst mother in the world overrode anything else I was feeling...so we sprinted 2.5km to the school! We made it in record time despite the fact that I pushed myself so hard I almost...shall I say, lost my cookies...but I made it. I was there. Out of breath and a little sweaty (OK a lot sweaty) but I managed to fulfill my motherly duties...I just feel sorry for the first few kids who got stuck with me doing their make-up.

Hats off to all you parents who manage to do 100 things at once, work full time, volunteer and manage to never miss a beat. I guess a Super Mom I'm not...but a least I try, and I guess that's all anyone can ask for.

*If you have a funny parenting story, I'd love you to leave it in the comment section. It's nice to know I'm not alone LOL!

4 comments:

  1. You may have your doubt of your being a supermon (though I dont have any doubt of it at all). But any one who can run like that must be a Superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My funny story is that I was having a lovely Sunday afternoon in the park with my husband, when I realized it was the school opening program in church. It started at 1:30pm and it was already 1:20pm. No time to change. Just fly to the church in jeans, no make-up, and undone hair. I forgot to mention, I'm the teacher! I got there just as the kids were lined up ready to enter the church. One of my little gr. 1 students was crying and said, "I don't want to do this". I softly whispered, "Me, either". I was so embarrassed to be late and not appropriately dressed. Guess I'm not Teacher of the Year or Super Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping all Mom’s have done this at least once.... here’s my best one! It’s mid-summer and my teen-age daughter, Aleisha, is deeply involved in her summer basketball program. I drop her off at the gym, “Bye Honey, play hard. Have fun! I’ll pick you up at 7” It’s 5pm now and home I go to eat dinner with my hubby. After a while, the phone rings. “Hi, it’s Michelle from down the lake. Andrea would like to try knee-boarding and says she ONLY wants YOU to teach her”. Surprised, but pleased, I said “Meet us at our dock in 10 minutes!” I was surprised since Andrea, who at the time was about 8 years old, had a seizure during birth and was left with what I liked to call her ‘silly arm’ and ‘silly leg’. With very little muscular function or strength is her right side, learning to balance on the kneeboard while being pulled by the boat would be a challenge. Not to say it couldn’t be done, especially if she was willing to try. After finding ‘her’ centre point on the board and ‘her’ centre point for holding the rope (mostly with only her left hand), with lifejacket on, I jumped in the water. I held the back of the board tightly on both sides and said “Go, but not too fast”. After a few little ‘slide-offs’ (not wipe-outs), we started to get the hang of it. I told my hubby to go a little faster each time and that I’d be hanging on the whole time. As I held my breath, I flipped, flopped and struggled to hang on, but was able to adjust and keep the board balanced as I felt Andrea’s weight shift from side to side. After several attempts, I was getting the hang of holding on at high speed, and Andrea was staying more centered. Of course, I was feeling (and looking) like a combination between Aqua Woman and a fish lure! But Andrea would not give up. And neither would I. We would rest and try again. With each attempt, we would increase the speed. Attempt #23?: we start to move, I make a slight adjustment for her, then one more, she’s now balancing on her own, I’m not doing anything but dragging behind her, evenly, I let go. She’s doing it! All by herself! Her Mom goes crazy in the boat! Andrea looks back at me floating in the water behind her. She looks back again. She looks back again and drops the rope. I swim to her and excitedly say “You did it. YOU were knee-boarding! Why did you drop the rope?” She replied “I thought you fell off!” Attempt #24?: Andrea did it all by herself and went ½ way around the lake. We came back to our dock as the sun was setting, everyone so proud of Andrea’s accomplishment. What a great day. As we cleaned up the dock and put things away, my husband said “Who drove Aleisha home from basketball?” “AHHHHHHHHHHH!” Thankfully, her coach was a great guy and was very understanding (or at least pretended to be). When I arrived at 9:30pm (2.5 hours late!) they were outside watching a movie on his laptop! I may have got the Super Neighbour Award that day, but not the Super Mom Award. PS: Andrea continued to kneeboard into her teen years!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo happy to hear I'm not alone LOL!

    Angela St. Cyr

    ReplyDelete