Wednesday 22 June 2011

Broiled Mahi Mahi on a Bed of Wilted Spinach and Red Pepper Slivers



Mahi Mahi is a favorite in our house, but for a very odd reason. Our family went to Portugal for several months when my oldest daughter was 5 and you eat a lot of fish in Portugal. You'd think that would be a good thing... but they often serve fish whole with the head and tail still intact. So here's my theory...I think that's when my daughter came to the realization when we have fish for dinner we are actually eating a fish LOL!

Since then she HATES fish, except this fish. Why does she like this fish you may be wondering? Well I think it's because its texture is very similar to chicken, so it doesn't trigger the same memories for her. It also helped that I always called it chicken fish LOL. Thank goodness they didn't serve chicken whole too! If you have family members that don't like fish, give this a try.


2lbs                   Mahi Mahi (or any firm fleshed white fish)
1/3c                  coconut milk
 2                       cloves of garlic (crushed)
 1tsp                  paprika
 1                        dried red chili (crushed)
salt and pepper to taste

4c                   washed baby spinach leaves
 1                     red pepper (cut into thin slivers)

Turn your oven to broil.

Toss the first 6 ingredients together in a bowl and stir to combine. Spread the seasoned fish onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and place on the centre rack. Broil for 5 minutes, then give it a toss and broil for another 5 minutes.

Place the broiled fish on top of the spinach leaves and red pepper slivers. The heat from the fish will wilt the spinach. I like to serve this with my coconut lime rice. http://marthakindof.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-to-do-with-leftover-rice-2.html

PS I've had lots of requests for this recipe so I decided to post it today. I haven't had a chance to photograph the finished product so I'll post a picture of it in a few days.

 We're having healthy Sloppy Joe's (yes, healthy) for dinner tomorrow night so that will be my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment